History Of Islington

The history of Highbury & Islington can be traced all the way back to the Domesday Book. In this famous historical work, a large manor called ‘Tolentone’ is cited, and Islington, as we know it today, formed a part of this grand estate. The manor house was situated by what is now the east side of Hornsey Road near the junction with Seven Sisters. After many years the manor crumbled and decayed and a new manor house was built in 1271 to the south east.  Built on a hill and to differentiate it from the original, this new manor was named Highbury.

History of the Highbury Gardens site
During the 18th Century the site was used for market gardens or nurseries. Buildings gradually developed along the major roads throughout Islington, with the first building on the property being Highbury Brewery established by William Willoughby in 1815. The buildings were accessed via an archway off the main Holloway Road to allow access by horse and cart to the rear stables. This covered archway has been reinvented as a feature of the scheme design today. Middle class development continued across the region over the Victorian era during which time Highbury Crescent and Highbury Place were founded. The same character of these classic buildings has been echoed at Highbury Gardens, capturing the essence of their unmistakably English architectural style.

History of Upper Street
Dating back to at least the 12th century, Henry VIII was known to have hunted duck in the ponds off Upper Street. While in nearby Lower Street, since renamed Essex Road, Sir Walter Raleigh is said to have lived in and owned a pub.